Types of Students
What Kind of Student Are You?
Undergraduate degree seeking student.
Like most students at UC, you’re looking for a degree to advance your life. Whether it’s seeking a certificate, associate or bachelor’s degree, you must fill out an application.
To apply, you will need:
- Undergraduate Application for Admission
- $20 application fee
- Official transcripts from your high school and all post-secondary institutions you've attended
- ACT scores (if you are age 21 or younger)
There may be unique admission requirements for certain students, depending on factors like your age or previous higher education (See Undergraduate Admission Requirements)
See types of undergraduate degree seeking students
- Non-Traditional Students - If you are age 24 or older, or did not graduate from high school, each university has established its own admission requirements.
- Returning Students - If you previously attended a public university in South Dakota you may choose to skip the application and instead complete a readmission form. If you attended any other schools since leaving the SD Public University system, you will need to supply official transcripts.
- Transfer Students - If you have 24 or more semester credits you may be eligible for admission as a transfer student. You must have a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher and be in good standing with your most recent school; see what transfers by visiting Transfer Students!
Non-degree seeking student.
You just want a to take a few classes or maybe you even have a bachelor’s degree already and aren’t looking for another. As a non-degree seeking student, you don’t need to deal with admissions forms. You simply need to stop by the UC main office and fill out a registration form for the course(s) you're interested in pursuing. Please note: when you’re a non-degree seeking student, you are not eligible for financial aid.
To register you need:
- Non-degree seeking registration form (available at UC Main Office during Open Registration)
- Immunization records (proof of 2 MMR immunizations)
- Proof of completed pre-requisites (if needed for the course in which you wish to register)
Graduate degree seeking student.
You are ready to advance your career, and earn a set of letters behind your name. To pursue a graduate degree at University Center you need to apply to the state university in whose program you wish to enroll.
Concurrent/dual enrollment high school student.
Though you’re still in high school, you could get a head start on your college education at a fraction of the cost – and that’s pretty smart. By enrolling at University Center, you can take college classes for college credit while potentially satisfing some high school graduation requirements while saving a lot of time and money!
Posted: April 17, 2017
University Center is thrilled to partner with Chef to Plate in Sioux Falls to offer you more healthy food options to enjoy while you're at University Center or to take home.Read More
Posted: April 12, 2017
As part of the expansion with the USD Discovery District, our main road between the Classroom building & the Science & Technology building will be undergoing a complete and total reconstruction. Construction begins Monday, April 24, 2017.Read More