FAFSA may seem confusing, but UC can help you avoid making common mistakes that may delay the financial aid process. Remember that you need to complete FAFSA each year after you complete your tax returns.
What You Need To Complete FAFSA
- Driver’s license
- Asset information
- Social Security Numbers
- Alien Registration Number if you are not a U.S. citizen
- Federal Tax Returns (IRS 1040 and W2s). If you are a dependent you will also need your parent’s tax forms.
- Home School Code:
Filling Out FAFSA
The most common cause for delay is missing signatures. FAFSA must be signed by the student and a parent (if the student is determined to be dependent for financial aid purposes). You will use a four digit PIN number to sign your application.
- Use your full name as it appears on your Social Security card. Answer all questions as instructed.
- Do not leave question 23 blank. Enter “No” if you have never been convicted of an illegal drug offense.
- Do not include decimals in the income information that you provide.
- Read the instructions carefully before reporting the correct family size.
- If filing electronically, print a copy of your completed FAFSA for your records before submitting.
- File your FAFSA by your Home School priority date:
Once You’ve Submitted FAFSA
You’ll receive a list of your submitted information called a Student Aid Report (SAR). Any errors can be corrected at the FAFSA website (reference Step Three: Corrections to a processed FAFSA for additional information).
Keep all copies of all forms that you use to apply for Financial Aid. Also, keep copies of any forms or letters you receive or send that relates to your financial aid application.
If you included your e-mail address, you will receive an e-mail when your SAR is ready to be viewed at www.fafsa.gov.
Posted: September 16, 2015
Interested in meeting a course requirement, learning more about other people and yourself, or looking for ways to connect to those in your community? Check out these opportunities put together by one of our faculty members!Read More
A Current/Former service member and/or a member of a military family? On 9/24/15 from 11a-4p UC will host campus/community representatives for questions about education to community assistance.View Details